So I was in an the SF airport bookstore in September when we flew back east, and I remember searching for a fun read with little success. I vaguely remember reading the back of a book in the young adult section (perfect books for light reading in my opinion) and putting it back when I found out it was about vampires. I think I am lacking the vampire gene and must confess to never having opened an Ann Rice novel. I will say that I loved the movie of Interview with a Vampire however, in spite of Brad Pitt. I do love a Tom Cruise film and have since been a huge fan of Kirsten Dunst.
Anyway, A week or two ago, out of the blue on my little Google News widget thing I started seeing tons of stories about a movie that was about to open and about all the fuss it had generated as a book and now as a much anticipated screen release. I started reading about it and wondered how such an enormous amount of hype could exist about something I had never even heard of. And the movie was about to open. When I think about it now, however, I am sure there are people who only heard about Harry Potter a week before it opened.
So the movie, if you didn't figure it out already, is called Twilight (did someone just find my blog while searching for stuff about the movie--eek!). The author is a Mormon which is getting lots of attention, and the movie is an adaptation of the first book in her series about vampires and werewolves. One of the hot new stars in it (who according to all of the articles will now be quite a celebrity) played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movies.
SO to make a short story longer, I read a lot about how lame it was and then went to see it tonight while the true love was out. I do that. It was fairly lame but I think the male lead will be quite the new flavor of 2009. One thing I read about the movie mentioned investing in hair gel due to the Wham (Wake Me Up Before You Go Go era) gravity-defying hairstyles. "Edward" looked like James Dean with George Michael's Wham hair. One of the other vampires looked like someone impersonating Edward Scissorhands without the scissors. The movie is essentially vampires without the sex which is essentially dull . Certainly dull next to a wonderfully fopped-out, slightly androgynous Tom Cruise biting a beautifully costumed woman's shoulder while they lounge in the sultry Lousiana evening.
I guess that was my movie review of the week. And of course I now sort of want to read the books to see how cheesy they are (and what happens next). How lame does that make me. Sometime I will review the movie we saw on Monday....
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've read two of the books in the series and plan to finish the other 2 over winter break. The writing is horrible, but the overall concept is such cheesy good fun I couldn't resist. Kind of makes me feel like a giddy/angsty sixteen year old again. CSB
Post a Comment