I have at last made the connection between some things I love: costumes, the internet, and the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. Burned into my memory is the trip I made there in 1991 with my parents because they had the most amazing costume exhibit. The true love and I returned when we went on our trip a few years ago. There was a swinging sixties exhibit which was not really my cup of tea. I wanted a pass into the storage area. A few weeks ago I purchased a few books of clothing in detail from the V&A and now I have found out how to look at everything online. I can imagine this would bore some people, but I am certainly not one of those sorts of people.
You just go here and the click on "search the collections". Amazing! I have been enjoying entering in "gown" as the object with various time period ranges. I think this will be my new full time job. Please post a message if you would like to fund this new career.
My one sadness is that they have some details without including images of a whole dress. Boo hoo!
This sleeve makes me so happy and I must recreate it, but what of the rest of the dress??? The book I bought has a line drawing but it is most unsatisfying. Anyway, there are many things to look at here--much more than just old clothing. Something for everyone. Enjoy!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment