Well, as I clean house for the annual New Year's Day party I begin tackling the art room with typical high spirits. Everything has a place there. It is very pleasing and Montessori in a messy, non-perfectionist kind of way. Desirous of continuing the theme of recent house cleaning endeavors I decide to proceed with more invasive thoroughness and began to remove some baskets, trays and such from various surfaces. Low and behold I find myself unearthing a forgotten purgatory of unfinished projects, or perhaps I should more kindly term them well-begun projects.
I find at least two future items of clothing which are cut out and ready to sew (cutting is of course is generally the stumbling block to sewing), lots of felted Goodwill sweaters with swatches of needle felting, selections of paper destined for unfinished collages which lean against walls, gorgeous Middle Eastern pants that belong to the true love and have needed mending for years, fabric and patterns for a number of regular everyday clothing items (which is clearly not as much fun to sew as costumes), a lovely altar of sorts made from an old, very cool box, which has been papier mâché-ed and primed for some artistic endeavor and has been ready For Years, a partial kumihimo braid on the marudai, an almost complete scarf on my Cricket loom which was begin last summer, almost finished trays for my classroom, and a photo album where I have stashed the squares to an unfinished quilt (and no it isn't that other unfinished circus quilt!! That is in a drawer!). Let's not even mention the things hiding under the Bookbi9nding bench. There is so much more and the pictures makes it all look far less overwhelming but it becomes sort of a psychological issue that needs resolving. Part of me wants to sit down and finish it all, but obviously the bigger part of me decided to take pictures and leave the room to write about it. And tonight probably isn't the best time to do this although I am on a four day vacation...

Isn't the playing card container made with packing tape cool? I had hopes of making more but I know that mostly I do things once, just to figure them out.
I find at least two future items of clothing which are cut out and ready to sew (cutting is of course is generally the stumbling block to sewing), lots of felted Goodwill sweaters with swatches of needle felting, selections of paper destined for unfinished collages which lean against walls, gorgeous Middle Eastern pants that belong to the true love and have needed mending for years, fabric and patterns for a number of regular everyday clothing items (which is clearly not as much fun to sew as costumes), a lovely altar of sorts made from an old, very cool box, which has been papier mâché-ed and primed for some artistic endeavor and has been ready For Years, a partial kumihimo braid on the marudai, an almost complete scarf on my Cricket loom which was begin last summer, almost finished trays for my classroom, and a photo album where I have stashed the squares to an unfinished quilt (and no it isn't that other unfinished circus quilt!! That is in a drawer!). Let's not even mention the things hiding under the Bookbi9nding bench. There is so much more and the pictures makes it all look far less overwhelming but it becomes sort of a psychological issue that needs resolving. Part of me wants to sit down and finish it all, but obviously the bigger part of me decided to take pictures and leave the room to write about it. And tonight probably isn't the best time to do this although I am on a four day vacation...
Isn't the playing card container made with packing tape cool? I had hopes of making more but I know that mostly I do things once, just to figure them out.
This closet has so many things crammed into it such as items for dyeing, a really cool Print Gocco, old clothing that might want to languish for years before not being sewn into something else in a cool upcycling way.
Do we sense a New Year's Resolution looming? probably not. But if you want to invite yourself over and make stuff I could distract myself even more. Or you could use the cool shrine box thing for something.... I will only have one job this Spring so perhaps there will be more of the recently mythical Time of which people speak combined with the even more mythical Energy. Or perhaps we will sink into wine and Lost as usual, with a little Warcraft mixed in (did I mention I finally reached the highest level possible--level 80--this week?!!! Took me years compared to your average 14 year old boy's few weeks.).
We shall see what the new decade brings!
No comments:
Post a Comment