In order to cultivate more fun stuff in life I have created some goals for myself for 2018. Better late than never. Theses goals will hopefully encourage me to make more, read more, get out more, and see people more. Here are the goals along with what I have done so far this year.
Read 30 books: This seems kind of low since I am a librarian, but I have been busy/too tired and not a good reader except in storytime. I am doing okay, and it takes work. Six so far plus a couple I am in the middle of. I am not counting picture books or nonfiction, though I just read two books on felting.
- January: La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman
- February: reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling; The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman; The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
- March: The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo; The Glass Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg; we are reading each other Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology and I am in the middle of the last book in the series by Holmberg, The Master Magician
Spin 5 balls of yarn: I just finished plying a batch that was on my bobbins. It was some old fiber from a subscription that was not my favorite, but I am giving it to someone at work. I have ideas of things to try, and lots of old fiber to practice with. I want to make a little art yarn too.
Felt 5 projects: I did a lot at the end of the 2017 but haven't managed any yet this year. At least I think that is the case. But next weekend I will be felting when my friend comes to visit. I think I can do more than this, but I wanted to start small so I could be successful. In fact, I signed up for an online felting workshop over six weeks which, if I do it, will result in many felted projects. Fingers crossed. It starts in April.
Some other crafting: I hope to finish a Clockwork scarf that has languished for years although I can't find the pattern with the notes... I want to do some bookbindey stuff too, and maybe try to do some of the bullion crochet my friend showed me. Also sew some comfy around-the-house clothes.
Go to Oregon three times: We have been once already, in February.
One fun trip a month: I did not clarify whether this was away for the night or not, but I think I mean overnight. I will include any trips for now though. A specific trip on my list is to see a play or plays in Ashland. We have done this every year since moving here.
- January: Salt Lake City for Linguistics conference (we both got the flu but the hotel was nice).
- February: Eugene, Oregon (yay!), and an overnight to Nevada City where we have been before, and where I bought two amazing coats this time.
- March: Well we went to Folsom together and walked around old town after a librarian meeting I had, but this was not an overnight (or more than an afternoon).
One friend thing a month:
- January: Oops. None. Except my friend was over for New Year's before we left town, so I guess that counts.
- February: Oregon trip to see friends, and I went to see my Great Uncle, and we saw my sweetie's family
- March: I had a visit from a college friend, and my friend comes next weekend for crafts and games
Do regular cultural stuff: I want to got to theater and shows, like the Mondavi (we get tickets every year). Also I want to see 6 movies in the theater. We have new redone theater in town that is very comfy.
- January: Circa at the Mondavi- I really enjoyed this!
- February: Shape of Water at the movies
- March: Black Panther at the movies; Yamato, Drummers of Japan (taiko) at the Mondavi-- this was amazing!!!
Send 12 cards or letters: Wrote a card to my old friend who lives in Madison and he showed up a week later!
Send 12 birthday cards: I have done one, but am shortly going to do 2 more- they will surely both be late.
Work on a book idea: This is a big unknown though the sweetie and I talk about collaborating on a romance novel, and I have another other strange idea in my head. I don't know if this will happen.
Get art on the walls: I want to frame/hang 3 pieces of art we have, and hang 3 pieces of art that are already framed. We have rooms with nothing on the wall. I also have things I need to nail up in the craft room. It is nice to look at art.
So those are my underachiever goals for the moment. I do already feel like I have some positive pressure to do more because of the list. I will keep track of it all here. My next post will begin my felting retrospective so I can catch up before I start my class. Playing with wool is so much fun, and I have so much to learn. I plan to teach some felting at my library's makerspace in the coming months. To pressure myself I bought wool with work money. I have done felted rocks and soap with kids at our afterschool craft day, but that is it.
See you next time! With pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment