At least for all intents and purposes it is over. Yay! I gave my first PowerPoint presentation last night and emailed all my chapters to my professor. So now I am on my own with my project. Hopefully I will get my research approved this coming Monday, or at least a list of what I have to do to get approved. In the meantime I am sitting in my immensely hot house which appears to be devoid of oxygen. I watched the first few episodes of the tv series Christy which I remembered I had enjoyed watching but had never followed all the way through. I have to say that the cranky older doctor beats out the sentimental preacher any day of the week. Luckily I don't remember what Christy ends up doing in the series, but somehow I imagine she'll choose the safe, age-appropriate guy. That is so tv. Not that the show is really about love. It's about bringing education to the poverty-stricken children of the Blue Ridge Mountains. And religion. I figure that part is required for the rest of the plot so I tolerate it.
Today I applied for another job at an almost unknown school. Perhaps this will be the one. We shall see what happens. In the meantime I need to finish up my art class by reading and grading students in the coming few weeks while starting to hammer down a plan for my science class. So many things to think about these days. And I haven't even played a computer game in a few days. The good news here in the East Bay is that we are now having our water rationed. This is something I do not remember having happened during my stay, but perhaps I just didn't hear about it. There was an automated phone call saying that we need to reduce our water consumption by 19% or we will be fined and/or have our water turned off. Eek. They gave a list of things we cannot do with water as well. We don't have many ways of cutting back as we run a small operation here in general. Showers, laundry, dishes, hygiene. What should go?? And it's dance season too which means white clothing needs to be washed every week.
I hear about an interesting book on the radio today called Bottomfeeder. A man travelled the word for a year to see if it is possible in this day and age to ethically eat seafood. It was depressing and interesting. I want to get the book. He seemed to be saying that the best choices are the fish at the bottom of the food chain, like herring, anchovy, and kippers. Those fish are yummy. He also was saying that salmon really is never an ethical choice. Sniff. I didn't have salmon on my lunchtime salad after hearing that. The most amusing and scariest comment the guy made was about how sushi restaurants are not required to label their fish. He said some fish in restaurants have been tested and found to contain mercury levels so high that you "might as well be chewing a thermometer". Nice. Sushi anyone?
On a completely different note, today California voted in same sex marriage. That is actually some amazingly good news! So unusual and unexpected these days. Go celebrate but not with anything that involves water. If you find any spelig and gramar mistake it is because I was too hot to edit (hehe).
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment