Some people have a studio, some people have a press, but I prefer a stew...



Friday, May 23, 2008

Where Did I Go?

Beats the heck out of me. I have actually been home this whole time but busy and fairly dull in my thoughts. I finished my research class at long last this past Wednesday. Yay! And last night was the "graduation" for the credentialed students in my teacher education program so I went as a faculty member. This is an awkward place for me as I feel more comfortable around the students, a little trapped between two worlds. I think this will get easier as there are no more students who I had classes with. The program has changed a lot since I went through it (in some ways) and the students seem very committed and competent, likely to manifest authentic Montessori if they can find a school to work in.

I have been grading things and feel that I am improving in this area. I will be teaching a three unit class this summer and I think it was nice that I did two different one unit classes beforehand. For the first class I went with another teacher's plan primarily and for the second I came up with a lot more of my own plan. This time there really isn't a clear plan but I get to teach an area that has a traditional curriculum with many materials that are purchased, and I am only teaching early childhood people instead of a mix with elementary. I have realized how much I stay in my comfort zone in my life, and how this year has been a huge challenge for me. I tend to be a little self-critical and I am having to remind myself that this is my first year doing something new and it is going to be far from perfect in many ways. These are the sacrificial students, or the first waffle as we say around here (the one that sticks and kind of gets ruined but prepares the pan for the rest of the batch). Between dealing with adult students, some who are difficult to keep on track, and dealing with some negative situations lately I am feeling more capable and in some ways more like a grown-up (but not the bad kind of grown-up). Now I just need some grown-up clothes. Anyone know where grown-ups shop? Somehow I am thinking it isn't Target or Goodwill. They probably spend $Money$ on their clothes.

Just for kicks I will post a link to a movie the true love sent me that is very cool. Enjoy it on this day in May. And wish we luck finishing the grading.

No comments: