Some people have a studio, some people have a press, but I prefer a stew...



Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How We Think

I am at home, enjoying some wine, and reading some of John Dewey's book, How We Think. I am enjoying my beautiful MacBook Pro with its spaces and exposé, and my Curio software, and my new downloaded Chimoo Timer. I am listening to the Be Good Tanyas. I have moved our computer stuff into the art room (Myranthic Stew) and so everything is lovely to look at. Doesn't it all sound lovely?

But actually, I had some unexpected oral surgery today at the dentist. I was getting a crown replaced because there was a little decay at the edge, but then it turned out to be tons of decay and most of my tooth was drilled out. So I got a post, and had some of my gum and bone removed to make more tooth visible so it can have a crown attached. My dentist termed this "heroic dentistry", by which he meant it might not work, and perhaps he saw himself as a hero atempting to save the tiny, malformed, ugly tooth-stump. So now I have two annoying stitches in my mouth, bleeding, and a swollen and painful jaw, as well as a temporary crown. I have to wait at least a month for it to heal before I can get a crown and then who knows how long it will last. Next step will be an implant.

So actually, I am sitting at home with a painful jaw, skipping seeing friends and playing music at Morris practice, not with my true love, and very frustrated about the work I should be doing but am not exaclty accomplishing with success. I guess it's not as cozy as it seemed.

But I do have a story (can you tell I am procrastinating??) related by the true love. It is the origin of the new mantra around here. A co-worker of his is responsible for setting goals for their project. He tries to set achievable goals, which seems worthwhile. They are working on creating tools (this is for artists to use to create games on the computer), and his co-worker said that the goal isn't going to be making the tools perfect, because that goal is way too difficult to achieve. Instead, the goal is to make the tools suck less. That is something they can do for sure. This is now my daily goal with my project: make it suck less. I can do that. We can all do that. All Earthlings. There you have it. I guess I should continue making things suck less.

However, there is Beatles news for the day: Apple says there is no truth to the rumors about Beatles albums coming to iTunes. Sigh. Maybe they are just playing it close to the vest. I just hope that one day all of my Beatles albums will have artwork displayed. And, as if you care, my favorite Beatles music these days is the soundtrack to Across the Universe. I love it. Enjoy your evenings and don't forget to suck less ;)

Funny... while I edited this my dentist just phoned to check up on me. How sweet. Now I feel a little bad about what I wrote, but, as the Earthlings who speak French say, tant pis. Maybe his ears were burning, or he felt guilty about not having nitrous.

2 comments:

Michael Olsen Craig said...

You know, as far as ITunes artowk goes, you can just drag and drop any old jpeg into the appropriate info panel for any song or selection of songs....

- bru

Myranthia said...

Thanks Brother!