Some people have a studio, some people have a press, but I prefer a stew...



Monday, February 4, 2008

February Already

This month simultaneously seems to have lasted forever and to have passed by in a flash. Perhaps it is because I was less gainfully employed than usual, which is saying a lot. In February reality comes back in the form of a research class and some real teaching gigs. Part of me is looking forward to being forced to attend to these academic areas. Once my focus is there it will all be very enjoyable and perhaps I will rapidly firm up my Master's project. For now, my focus on that is more limited which is less than desirable.

Enough about what I am supposed to be doing. This past weekend was very lovely and busy. We had sushi, we celebrated a birthday on the peninsula with great merriment and a little bit of leaping and juggling on a trampoline. Nothing says party like that! Yesterday we recovered from the merriment and felt generally as if we were both getting sick. Then we went to see the Young People's Symphony Orchestra. Among its members is a high school sophomore who spent some of his childhood in my care. My how they grow! The concert was wonderful--they are a very talented group. They performed Night on the Bare Mountain (Mussorgsky/Rimsey-Koravov), Noblissimo Visione (Hindemith), and Symphony No. 3 in c minor (Saint-Saens). The last one was my favorite though the second part seemed to travel all over the place musically. It had lots of organ with very exciting brass and some timpani to conclude. I love the brass. I can only imagine how much they all must practice and am happy to benefit from the fruits of their labor. They will be traveling to Australia and New Zealand in June to perform at the Sydney Opera House!

I began a new knitting project last night as well. I have been enjoying knitting while watching/listening to my Middlemarch dvd. I have seen it many times so only need to look up when Rufus Sewall is onscreen. The Noro scarf is coming along well but has been my sole focus for the last few weeks.



I decided to start a second scarf just to vary my occupation. This one takes a little more attention and is also very lovely. I am using some yarn I got in Tucson which is in Mermaid colors.



The true love is trying to drag me out to the cave in spite of my protests that I am not quite 100%. I guess it would be more virtuous to go than stay. Sigh.

No comments: