Some people have a studio, some people have a press, but I prefer a stew...



Friday, January 18, 2008

Free at Last

So I finished my last day of servitude though it took some effort to make it through the chaos of a Friday. I can't say that I will leap at further after-school gigs in the future. It's not enough money for just standing around being very bored while children run riot. I much prefer being busy with something. Of course substituting is not a lot of money, period. The feature is that one gets to take work at will and turn anything down that sounds un-fun. It also allows for a close look at many schools. Someday I will complete my degree and actually need to decide what job to pursue and at this point I am burning no bridges. Perhaps there is a school out there for me. Or maybe not.

In the area of Beatles news for the week, Astrid Kircherr was on Fresh Air a few days ago due to the release of a book of photos taken during the filming of A Hard Day's Night. Listen here. If you don't know about her or about Stuart Sutcliffe you can read numerous biographies on the Beatles (my path of choice) or simply rent the movie Backbeat which is an excellent movie about the Beatles (before Ringo) playing in Hamburg. Of course everyone must also see Across the Universe which was a most excellent film done as a musical about a group of people in the 60s with a soundtrack of Beatles covers. We went prepared to find it lame and were more than pleasantly amazed. We will be purchasing said movie to add to my Beatles library when it comes out on February 5th. And perhaps 2008 will be the year (at last) when my I get to witness the merging of two of my great loves: circus and Beatles. I have been yearning to see Cirque du Soleil's Love show since before it opened and have been enjoying the album of music remixed for it by George Martin and his equally lovely son. The show is in Las Vegas and my true love said this is the only thing that would make him set foot in Vegas ever again. I have never visited the city and truly hope we can make the trip soon, before Love is all used up. I have heard that all you need is love, and wish to see for myself.



Okay. I will cease the Beatle chatter. I won't even go into raptures about the amazing biography that came out last year. This has surely been a post full of links to keep one occupied for minutes, nay, moments. Now I must return to my under-the-weather true love and to the incoming neighbors. There will be more soup and perhaps a viewing of Jerry Garcia's favorite movie... Do you know what it is??

No comments: