Some people have a studio, some people have a press, but I prefer a stew...



Saturday, January 26, 2008

Taking the Air

So here I am in the desert Southwest, staying dry and skipping out on the California weather drama. Last night we celebrated the mother's birthday. In the midst of cooking roast beef we realized that the oven of her new stove is not working and would not rise above 150 degrees. We had to abort the Yorkshire pudding which, as far as I am concerned, is a tragedy, and in the end we broiled it and then hacked it into bloody steaks which were also broiled. It all worked out deliciously so everyone was happy even though dinner was a bit late.

The nieces appeared to bond with the fluffy bunnies who have been named Santa Claus and Mr. Hinkel (or Henkel). We have been enjoying each other and I got to teach them some songs.

I was awoken at 7AM by the batteries running down on the smoke alarm near my room. Only the dogs and I could hear its periodic high-pitched beep, but the dogs were annoyed enough to wake someone who could fix it. I had only tried to get into it somehow, but it appeared to be impenetrable. I did get a little extra sleep after it ceased its beeping.

Today I have visited with all of my diverse family, eaten delicious breakfast, played piano duets, walked, slid down slides, taken photographs, drunk beer, delivered wine, been leaped upon by the Jack Russell, purchased luscious yarn from a Tucson yarn store, troubleshooted this computer, and have yet to take a much needed nap. Tonight we hit the Gaslight to see my sister-in-law in The Lone Stranger. It should be very entertaining with its usual broad humor.

And so it goes here in the Sonoran Desert.

No comments: